It’s no surprise that as one gets older, the teeth are worn down. However, the rate at which your teeth are worn down varies from one person to another and is largely dependent on a variety of factors. Restorative dentistry options here at our Katy dental practice can bring back naturally beautiful smiles that have suffered from aging.
So how exactly are your teeth worn down? The following conditions explain why some people wear their teeth down faster than others:
• using your teeth as tools such as opening plastic packages, chewing through tags on clothes
• chewing on tobacco, pencils, and other foreign objects
• grinding your teeth at night, also referred to as bruxism
• GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) in which your mouth tends to become acidic wearing your teeth down
• too much consumption of acidic foods and beverages
• bulimia causes the acidic content of the food you throw up to stay in your mouth, slowly dissolving your teeth’s enamel
• brushing your teeth more than twice a day or excessive use of toothpaste
Taking Steps to Avoid Worn-Out Teeth
• If you have been grinding your teeth at night, talk to your dentist about getting a night guard.
• Limit your consumption of acidic foods and beverages particularly fruit juices, energy drinks, sodas, iced teas, wine, and beer.
• When consuming acidic beverages such as wine and beer, take sips of water in between.
• Seek treatment options immediately if your notice that you have acid reflux.
• Seek milder forms of toothpaste and avoid vigorous brushing of your teeth.
Restorative Dentistry Options in Katy, Texas
After years of decay, grinding, injury, aging restorations and poor care, your beloved, brilliant smile begins to fade. Bring it back with restorative dentistry! Welch Dental Group changes lives every day with restorative techniques, ranging from dental implants to crowns to night guards.
We invite you to get in touch with us for an initial consultation. Call us at 281.395.2112 or by filling out this contact form. We look forward to helping you!