Red, swollen or tender gums are quite a common problem among the majority of the population. Here at our Katy dental practice , avoiding gum disease is part of our preventive dental care plan. It pays to be well-informed of the problem so read on for an in-depth look of gum disease below.
By and large, gum disease is a result of an infection of the gum tissues surrounding your mouth and teeth. Because the condition is often painless during the initial stages, you may not be aware that you have the problem until the late stages.
Classic Warning Signs of Gum Disease
If you are experiencing one or more of the warning signs below, gum disease is highly probable:
• swollen, read, and tender gums
• gums which easily bleed when flossing and brushing
• constant bad breath
• constant unpleasant taste in your mouth
• receding gum line
• loose permanent teeth or permanent teeth separating from the gums without apparent reason such as injury
• change in the fit of your teeth when you bite
• change if the fit of dentures
Factors Contributing to Gum Disease
Gum disease begins with the proliferation of bacteria in your teeth. Ideally, increasing numbers of bacteria can be neutralized with good oral hygiene. However, poor oral hygiene, together with the following factors could contribute to gum disease:
• family history of gum disease
• hormonal changes during adolescence, pregnancy, and when taking contraceptive pills
• taking medications such as cancer therapy drugs, steroids, and certain calcium-channel blockers
• smoking or chewing tobacco
Preventive Dentistry in Katy, Texas
Here at our Katy dental practice, we want you to be well-informed about gum disease through our preventive dental care plans. We invite you to get in touch with us for an initial consultation. Call us at 281.395.2112 or by filling out our contact form. We look forward to helping you!