Imperfect teeth can be a dilemma for most people. Welch Dental Group has the perfect solution, in the form of porcelain crowns. Porcelain crowns are essentially tooth-shaped caps that fit over your actual tooth to conceal tooth defects. The material used can easily be molded and shaped to match the rest of the patients existing teeth. This results in a very natural looking restoration that is virtually undetectable inside the mouth.
What are the advantages of using porcelain crowns?
- Porcelain crowns are very natural looking and bear a very close resemblance to the appearance of natural teeth.
- Porcelain crowns can be used to reinforce tooth structure in cases when a tooth has a very large filling and there is very little of the actual tooth to hold it in place.
- Porcelain crowns, when used to cap off a previously decayed tooth, can reduce the possibility of further tooth deterioration.
- These restorations can also be used as an adjunct to hold a dental bridge in place.
- The use of porcelain crowns have become one of the primary methods of giving your smile a good overall cosmetic improvement.
What should I expect from the installation of porcelain crowns?
- First, your dentist will use a local anesthesia to numb for comfort.
- A portion of the tooth’s enamel will be shaved off in the approximate thickness of the porcelain crown.
- Your dentist will take an actual impression of your mouth and this will be used as a basis.
- Creating a porcelain crown can take approximately two weeks to complete.
- At the end of the waiting period, the pared down tooth will be cleaned to form a stronger bond between it and the dental crown.
- Finally, the porcelain crown will be fitted over the tooth and final adjustments will be made.